Saturday, September 26, 2009

Mac Security - follow up

After recently reinstalling my iMac to make sure that it's save, some time has passed and things seem to be secure. LittleSnitch takes good care of my internet connection and, so far, I have not spotted any troublesome activity.

Obviously, I'm curious to know whether my system had been compromised at all. I cannot find out, however, since I just completely formatted the hard drive once I had decided to reinstall. I just came across an interesting article at heise.de, though, which discuss the value of compromised Mac systems. The article cites the analysis of activities within a malware community called Partnerka where, apparently, malware had been distributed through video codecs.

Before the infection I had actually tried to install video codes for decoding some weird formats I came across. Could this be the explanation for the troubles I had with my system? In any event it is interesting to see that, contrary to popular (internet) opinion, malware people and botnets are targetting Mac - and seem to be successful doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment